Month of February is the Heart Health month and for a good reason – America’s number 1 killer is cardiovascular diseases. It is responsible for nearly 50% of all deaths in a year. It kills more than 9 other causes of death combined. Needless to say, this is a very important matter and it affects every one of us directly or indirectly.
As the title suggests, I will be devoting a series this February, on the Heart Health. I will list some of the most common heart health challenges in each blog article and share simple natural effective ways to keep your heart healthy and happy!
But first, in this blog, I will list some vital statistics regarding the state of the heart health in America. Then I will share and hopefully motivate you to take the first simple step seriously – to do a heart screening test to assess your current condition.
Alarming Statistics That Affect All of Us:
- 50% of all DEATHS in the U.S.
- A heart attack every 20 seconds
- 1 death every 60 seconds
- Over 1 million each year
- Kills more than the other 9 causes of death
- Not just the man killer – over 500,000 women every year die from heart disease – dwarfing breast cancer
- 60% of 5-10 years old are at risk for heart disease with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high insulin levels
- African Americans are:
•Twice as likely to suffer from heart failure•Twice as likely to die of a stroke•Twice as likely to have high blood pressure•Twice as likely to have diabetes– Heart disease is a staggering financial burden with estimates as high as 2 billion dollars a dayNeed I go on with more of this dark statistics? I think not!
The very first step of prevention is to get yourself an assessment of where you are, heart health wise.
- Ask your family doctor for a heart screening test or do an annual physical exam.
- Some of the typical heart screening test parameters should include at least a few of the following:
- Blood Pressure
- Pulse Rate (Heartbeat)
- Heart Strength (Ejection Fraction)
- Heart Rhythm (Irregular Heartbeat)
- Blood Viscosity (Thickness)
- Hydration Level
- Arteriosclerosis (Elasticity of large & small arteries)
- Atherosclerosis (Constriction of large, small and peripheral arteries)
- Duplex Doppler
- Pulse Oximeter
- CV Profiler
- Heart Rate Variability
- Augmentation Index
For those of us who do not have a medical insurance or cannot afford to do the conventional heart screening tests, do not loose heart! Thanks to advancement in technology, there are now alternative and cost effective ways of getting a quick assessment of your heart and we offer it at either of our facilities in Round Rock and Cedar Park:
- FDA Cleared Class II portable device called Digital Pulsewave Analysis (DPA) which does all of the above screen test parameters and more (grades your arterial age v. your biological age). We have this device on site, but appointment is needed. So, please give us a call, 512-310-8880 (Round Rock) or 512-528-0130 (Cedar Park) to schedule an appointment.
To celebrate the Heart Month, we will be offering the heart screen test at half-price (regular price $40 per person) for all our internet and social media friends, whoever would book an appointment with us this February. Give us a call first and come by either the Round Rock or Cedar Park store for the heart screening test.
Whatever you decide to do, take the first step toward your heart health. Your family and friends, not to mention your heart will thank you for it!
If you want to make sure you receive all of my Heart Health blog series, simply click the RSS Feed at the right-bottom corner of our homepage or follow us on Twitter (@healthyindeed) or Facebook (www.facebook.com/naturalwellness)
To Your Health… and stay tuned for more…